As the world enters the third year of the COVID-19 pandemic, the healthcare industry faces a variety of ongoing challenges and shifts in delivery of care, according to a new 2022 predictions report.
1. Health disparities will negatively impact rural Americans twice as much as urban Americans
2. Labor shortages will double the medication error rate among providers
3. Healthcare will no longer be considered a trusted industry as misinformation and cyberattacks continue
4. Sixty percent of virtual care visits will be related to mental health
5. The number of hospital-at-home providers will triple
Source: Fierce Healthcare
Number of COVID-19 Omicron variant cases in Europe as of November 29, 2021, by country
In late-November 2021, the Omicron variant of SARS-CoV-2 (the virus which causes COVID-19) was designated as a variant of concern by the World Health Organization due to fears about a higher transmissibility from the variant and a possible decrease in the effectiveness of vaccines against it.